24
Sep
2015

Building the Residential Experience at ANU

If you would like to join the conversation post a comment here:

Filed under: Student accomodation
  •  2 Comments

Comment by Bradley
1 October 2015 @ 1:17 pm

Starting out at the ANU, I found accommodation at a Hall an incredible experience for making friends and getting involved in new activities. Half-way through my post-grad studies I moved to a share-house in private rental accommodation. The inertia and uncertainty to overcome was huge, but the experience was well worth it.
Perhaps the ANU could offer some help with an exit strategy for students looking to move into private accommodation. Offer information and advice to students looking to set up a share-house. It may also be useful to have a website for people to rate rental properties, areas, or real estate companies (if one isn’t already available).

Comment by Lauren
8 October 2015 @ 3:01 pm

Living at a self-catered college had a huge impact on my wellbeing during my first year at ANU. Being able to socialise with others on my terms, but living in close quarters was key to helping me recover from a traumatic experience during a gap year overseas. It also helped me to participate more richly in the other things that university life has to offer beyond my studies. I am a richer person for having lived at ANU colleges.

I would say though that having affordable self-catered colleges is absolutely fundamental to ensuring that ANU remains accessible to those who are not from wealthy families, like myself. Without a range of diverse people in the university community, including people from lower SES backgrounds, it would be impossible to say with any integrity that ANU is serving its purpose as a truly national university.